The Stephen Leacock Associates are pleased to announce the 2023 long list for the annual Stephen Leacock Memorial Medal for Humour.
Celebrating 76 years since its inception, this annual award recognizes excellence in Canadian literary humour. Past winners have included Terry Fallis, Will Ferguson, W.O.Mitchell, Stuart McLean and Mordecai Richler.
Board President Michael Hill thanks the national panel of judges for their thoughtful recommendations with this “long list.” He also thanks the authors for their submissions, and commends them on the quality of their writing.
The three finalists for the award will be named on Tuesday, Aug. 1, 2023, with the medal winner being announced on Saturday, Sept. 16, 2023 at the Leacock Medal Award Gala Dinner.
The long list for the 2023 Leacock Medal is: (in alphabetical order by author surname)
- Caetano, Cody — Half-Bads in White Regalia (Hamish Hamilton Canada)
- Carley, Rod — Grin Reaping (Latitude 46 Publishing)
- DeForge, Michael — Birds of Maine (Drawn and Quarterly)
- French, Bobbi — The Good Women of Safe Harbour (HarperCollins Publishers Ltd.)
- Healey, Emma — Best Young Woman Job Book (Random House Canada)
- Johnston, Wayne — Jennie’s Boy (Alfred A. Knopf Canada)
- Juby, Susan — Mindful of Murder (HarperCollins Publishers Ltd.)
- King, Thomas — Deep House: A DreadfulWater Mystery (HarperCollins Publishers Ltd.)
- Nawaz, Zarqa — Jameela Green Ruins Everything (Simon and Schuster Canada)
- Syjuco, Miguel — I Was the President’s Mistress!! (Hamish Hamilton Canada)
The Leacock Medal for Humour awards are generously sponsored by the Dunkley Charitable Foundation. For more information about the Leacock Medal and Stephen Leacock Associates, please visit www.leacock.ca.